Friday, September 16, 2011

30 Shameless Days - Love For An Uncool Movie

I'm stumped by this. An uncool movie? Isn't that kinda like the uncool TV show? For my husband, any chick flick or musical is uncool. For me it's any horror movie. Grrrrr.....  Horror flicks keep me up at night and I do get very frightened by them.

But does that make them uncool? I've found awesome stuff at garage sales. That last-chance-to-make-cash-out-of-your-trash deal? Basically, what people sell out of their garage is to them uncool, right?

What's cool? I know I'm not cool. I'm a spaz. A geek. An annoying person who is always stressing over what people really think about her. Not that what people think of me will affect what I do or say, but I just want to know what's going on in people's heads when they look at me.

At derby I yell a lot. "Jammer coming up!" "Coming on your inside!" "Watch out! Old lady coming through!" Coaches tell us its good to be in constant communication and giving info is key in becoming a good derby athlete.

So words fly out my mouth constantly. And I don't really yell-yell per say. I know, I mentioned "yell" but that's only because the word says more than if I were to claim "I project a lot at derby". Projection allows you throw your voice further without strain on your throat and stuff. You push from the gut. I can actually whisper and an auditorium full of 500 will hear me.

So. Where does that put us in terms of uncool movies? Since I defined it by horror flicks, I must then talk about one of those frightening movies that keep you up at night with horrible visions in your brain.

The Changeling. That's my pick.

It came out in 1979 or 1980. My dad took me to see this telling me it was about classical music.

I was 14.

And I was frightened. A movie about classical music? I trusted my dad and believed his every words. Other than when he told me my mom was a lesbian, but that's beside the point and just angry divorce talk.

But this movie was NOT about classical music. Yes it's got a good soundtrack if that's your thing. But, needless to say I LOVED this movie even if it scared the bejeezus outta me.

I was 14. And my dad was taking me out to the movie theater. This is back when going to the movies was a big thing. Same goes as going out to a restaurant. Nowadays, movies are as disposable as a Seinfeld rerun episode.

p.s. also among unpopular movies I also love:
  1. The Mask and most Jim Carrey movies out there... (including Cable Guy)
  2. Amelie
  3. Borat
  4. Freddy Got Fingered
  5. Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
  6. O Brother Where Art Thou?

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. So true, how movies have changed. When I was a kid, we used to get dressed in our good clothes to go see a movie! I also recall people smoking in the theater and little ashtrays in the seats.

    I love that stupid movie with Goldie Hawn and her man titled, Overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, my stupid movie list...

    They Live...Rowdy Roddy Piper and aliens...yeah

    Clash of the Titans...the original

    The Postman...best movie ever that most people dont like...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. One of the great "stupid" movies, where you can just put your brain on hold and giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you!
    Oh Brother Where Art Thou is one of my favorite all time movies. I can't believe it wasn't a HUGE hit.

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are a zombie or a fembot, your comments are totally appreciated! Loved. Desired. And wanted (I added that in case it was not clear)